As part of the Human Computer Interaction (HCI) module at university. I was required to develop and implement a digital learning application for a specific target audience (ages 10-14) to obtain information and hopefully learn from their experience by using the tool. The particular assignment I was given required me to digitise the BBC GoodFood Ultimate Chocolate Cake recipe. We where told that we could develop the assignment in whichever coding environment that we wanted. Known for its worldwide accessibility and in order to expand my application knowledge, I chose to learn and develop using Adobe Flash CS6 along with Actionscript 3.0.
Ultimate Chocolate Cake application features
- Introductory screen providing a brief overview of the application and the information required to carry out the cake baking process.
- Subtle 2D kitchen design chosen with a 3D depth of field ‘feel’.
- Images/objects within the kitchen environment where custom created so custom created using Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Fireworks to provide a consistent design throughout (without clashing images from different sources).
- A clip art styling was chosen with solid black outlining to represent an objects shape, and colour filled respectively.
- Text names applied to objects with comparable appearance e.g. plain flour, self raising flour.
- Four colour coded shelves with items methodically placed in the order they are required.
- Click, drag and drop functionality implementation to enhance interaction.
- Optional help feature – provides written instruction and neon glow around the required items if the user requires assistance.
- Scene updates as the user successfully completes a task and removes unrequired items.
- Multiple application error prevention techniques applied to stop the user making mistakes.
- Animations implemented throughout the system to provide a more feature rich visual application, to retain the user’s attention and to keep them visually involved.
- Optional back feature allows the user to return to the previous step opposed to having to manually restart the application.
- Full screen manipulation – specific tasks enlarge to the centre of the screen and fade the background.
You can test the full screen version of the application here or test the minimised version below.